Updatabe Sections / Split page updatable areas??

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 17, 2008   (RSS)

By nikkijones - January 15, 2008

Hi there,

After a few server problems, thanks to the team at IT.com, i'm now ready to integrate CMS into a clients website.

So far so good, it appears too easy to be true! However, on this site I am integating CMS into, there is a news column on the left hand side of each page.

here is the page i am working on:http://www.interiorcentral.tv/about_usPage.php

I 'thought' CMS would be able to set sections of the site to be updatable rather than whole pages only. For example on my about us page, I have set up CMS so the main text is updatable (which took seconds!). However, i wanted to be able to create a section called 'news list' and pull the data into the left hand column on each page.

I kind of got the idea this was workable on viewing the 'how it works' section on the CMS part of IT's website - it shows a page with a right column with links and customer testimonials on.

Is this possible somehow?

I look forward to hearing from you.

Cheers,
Nikki.

Re: [nikkijones] Updatabe Sections / Split page updatable areas??

By grauchut - January 15, 2008

On my site you can update the main stories and the call numbers on the right column. Is this something you are taking about. Here is the site. http://www.palmyrafire.com Let me know Glenn
Glenn Rauchut (Owner) Emergency Designz

Re: [grauchut] Updatabe Sections / Split page updatable areas??

By nikkijones - January 16, 2008

Hi Glenn,

Thanks ever so much for your reply and congrats on a great site!

It seems to be just what i am after but i can't quite tell how you've done it - can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers,
Nikki [:)]

Re: [nikkijones] Updatabe Sections / Split page updatable areas??

By Dave - January 16, 2008

Hi Nikki,

Glad to hear it's going so well!

Yes, you can actually have multiple viewers on a page. You just create another "list viewer" for news viewer and include the code where you want it displayed.

A few tips with this. If your page is getting really crowded you can put the code for the "news list" or whatever section it is in another file and include it with a php tag like this:

<?php include "newsList.php"; ?>

Also, if you wanted to show just the top 3 news items you'd do the following:

- Remove the prev/next page links if you don't want those
- set $options['perPage'] = 3; to show only 3 results
- set $options['pageNum'] = 1; to show first page only
- set $options['where'] = 1; to not filter results

The one other thing with multiple viewers, sometimes variables will overwrite each other. Don't worry about that unless it happens (you'll get an error) but if it does, you can just rename them. For example, instead of:

list($listRows, $listDetails) = ...

You might use:

list($newsRows, $newsDetails) = ...

And replace those where ever they are in the page.

Hope that helps (and makes sense!), any other questions just let me know.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com