Comments on Blogs

25 posts by 7 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: April 17, 2009   (RSS)

By mateo - January 10, 2008

CMS Builder is SO close to what I need for my clients. Unfortunately, almost every client wants a blog. CMS Builder is missing the three most important features of a blog: comments, an RSS feed, and categories.

I would use this with every client if the blog had those features. Any chance that these are on the coming soon list?

Mateo

Re: [mateo] Comments on Blogs

By Dave - January 10, 2008

Mateo,

Thanks for your feedback. Why don't we see if we can work together and make it do those things.

We can do RSS (it's just another "list viewer"), I've been waiting for someone to ask about comments so we could add that, and categories - we have an upgrade in the works that adds some basic functionality for this.

Tell me more about how you'd like the categories to work. Could the client add/remove as many categories as they wanted? Would something like "tags" work better? Do you have an example blog site you could link us to so we can see what it should look like?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Comments on Blogs

By mateo - January 10, 2008

If you were able to make the "list" field options editable by the user, that would solve the categories issue AND make the other uses for the "list" field better as well.

Tags are definitely an option as well. I'm used to categories from the current blog options like Wordpress etc, but either would be a great improvement.

As for comments, this is actually my real deal breaker. I could make do for now without categories, but blogs are great tools because they create community and encourage reader interaction, so without comments a blog to me is just a news section..

Of course with comments, you'll have to have a way to erase inappropriate comments..

Re: [mateo] Comments on Blogs

By Dave - January 10, 2008

Ok, I'll put comments on the list for the next version v1.08 and get chopping on it. :)

We're just about to release v1.07 (just in final testing) and it has a neat new feature where you can load list options from another table. So, for example, you could have a pulldown of all the users in the system, or all the categories from a category table, etc. Without having to manually re-enter them.

I don't know if that's exactly what you're looking for, but it may be one route to go. Hopefully we'll have that new release out tonight. We'll post in the forum when we do.
interactivetools.com

Re: [Toledoh] Comments on Blogs

By steve_e - March 19, 2008

Hi -
Can you tell me what the progress on comments is?

I don't know if I've misunderstood what you were discussing here, but what I was hoping for is the ability to set up a section where someone with regular or admin access to CMS Builder can post an initial suggestion or query, and then others (site members etc) who don't have that access can post responses via text box/name/date.

Is that what you were thinking of, and is that yet available? ;)

Re: [steve_e] Comments on Blogs

By Dave - March 19, 2008

So basically just like blog comments?

We were planning that feature, but it looks like it slipped through the cracks and didn't quite make it in. I'll move it up on the list. When do you need it by?
interactivetools.com

Ooh, about three quarters of an hour? :-)

I'm hoping to have my site finished by end of March, so if you had it available by then that would be excellent!

Re: [steve_e] Comments on Blogs

By Dave - March 19, 2008

Ok, that might be tight but we'll give it a shot. If it turns out we're too slow other options would be to use a hosted solution like http://js-kit.com/comments/ or to integrate a free comment script (that's what we do something for Article Manager users).

I'll post on this thread when I have some news! :)
interactivetools.com

Does AM have that feature already then Dave? I actually have AM2 installed on the site as well, but I haven't started using it yet, as CMS is doing everything I currently need (apart from this...).