Why should I purchase CMS Bulder over free options?

8 posts by 4 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 13, 2007   (RSS)

By isdoo - November 28, 2007

Hi,

Was interested to read about CMS builder today - I have been considering a CMS options for a while for a site - however I have a question....

Why should I spend $200 on a product when there are several CMS options out there that are free and come with several free add-ons built by the community.

Would be grateful to know why yours is better :)

BTW - this is a serious question :)

Thanks.

Re: [isdoo] Why should I purchase CMS Bulder over free options?

By kimberleyb - November 28, 2007

I'd love the answer as well as I am looking for a CMS for all our network sites and we already have a number of licenses for products from here and so are interested in more.

We're specifically looking for a CMS that will handle our membership accounts - which all come with their own blogs, forums, galleries, shoutbox, chat, ims, groups, galleries and email lists.. all which are served by a free cms that we like, but again, we are in the upgrade process and this is very timely.

My specific questions are:

Memberships? is there availability for membership management?

SPAM - the main issue we have on all the sites is UNRELENTING bot spam - signup attempts, attempts to access the contact features etc.. are there safeguards in place?

Blogs - multiple blogs for anyone or just one?

Community features - are there any or is this more geared toward individual users?

By Dave - November 28, 2007

CMS Builder is better because it's easier to use for clients, and faster to learn and setup for you.

You can "build" a new editor menu (for Articles, Blogs, etc) in just a minute or two (probably without even reading the docs), and it generates really clean simple PHP code for you to drop in your pages.

And that's not forcing you into a predefined blog or article site. You can create a custom CMS (or many) with whatever fields you want. You can add validation rules to limit what data is acceptable, all with just a few clicks.

It's worth the money because of time you save not having to read docs, wondering if you'll get a reply in a community forum, figure out how to configure some add-on, learn somebodies template language, etc.

We made this one as simple and fast as we could for developers to implement.

Give it a try, if you don't think it's worth the time it saves you, we'll give you your money back. :)
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [kimberleyb] Why should I purchase CMS Bulder over free options?

By Dave - November 28, 2007

Hi kimberleyb,

CMS Builder is more of a general content management tool. It doesn't have the community/portal features that you've mentioned (forums, chat, ims, email list) and isn't the right fit for that site.

It would be more of a fit for a company website where you had lots of sections (News Releases, Bios, Products, events, etc).
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Why should I purchase CMS Bulder over free options?

Thanks Dave.

Just a couple of further questions ;)

Does this allow members/clients to log in?

If not, then sadly it seems a little limited, as many sites like to involve users.

If it does, then would it allow members to create blogs (one feature that you mentioned)

I just wondered what it would give clients/customers over and above AM2

Thanks.

Okay - I think the AM2 / CMS question has been answered in another question.

By kman - December 13, 2007

I give you the best reason of all. Support.
Open source = No phone support. Sure you can go to a message board and try to find the answer. Good luck!
If you are working for a paying customer, you must choose a product that has a support staff. If your project is a personal hobby, maybe you can go open source.
However, If something goes wrong and a customer is breathing down your neck. You better have a good support staff to back you up.
Interactive Tools provides this.

Web Designer and Loyal Interactive Tools Customer.