3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > Off Topic / Other
Last Post: September 9, 2003   (RSS)

Hi, I'm have a little trouble registering my products. I have Job Manager, Article Manager, Search engine and News Manager. After I enter my registration details and try to continue I get presented with an error message regarding permissions to the directory /data for all of my products. I am running windows server 2003 with IIS. I've set read/write access in Win explorer and in IIS for directory permissions (user: IUSER_MYSERVER) and properties. I also checked the same for the files themselves and all seems to be in order.

The messages are each slightly different, so I've included them here:

For Search Engine:

File System Error!

The program is unable to access a required file. Please contact your server administrator or technical support for assistance. The error was: DB_Save : Can't rename 'C:/Websites/freecpduk/cgi/se/data//setup.dat.cgi' : Permission denied
[font "Arial"]

For Job Manager:

File System Error!

The program is unable to access a required file. Please contact your server administrator or technical support for assistance. The error was: DB_Save : Can't rename 'C:/Websites/freecpduk/cgi/jm/data/setup.dat.cgi' : Permission denied
[font "Arial"]

For Article Manager:

File System Error!

The program is unable to access a required file. Please contact your server administrator or technical support for assistance. The error was: DB_Save : Can't rename 'C:/Websites/freecpduk/cgi/am/data/setup.dat.cgi.tmp3048' to 'C:/Websites/freecpduk/cgi/am/data/setup.dat.cgi'. : Permission denied
[font "Arial"]

For News Manager I get the same error message, but before I even get a chance to enter my registration details:

File System Error!

The program is unable to access a required file. Please contact your server administrator or technical support for assistance. The error was: DB_Save : Can't rename 'C:/Websites/freecpduk/cgi/nm/data/setup.dat.cgi' : Permission denied

From what I can tell in each case it creates and writes data to a temporary file (presumably to hold my registration information) and once these details are complete (and presumably verified) it is copied to an existing file (setup.dat.cgi). For some reason the last operation cannot be completed, even though the file to be replaced has read/write permissions. So this means that either there's some issue between the code and server 2003 (presumably unlikely, but maybe for example something needs confirming), or there are some further permissions that I need to set in IIS/Server 2003 (although how come the code can create files in the host directory which has the same permissions). Alternatively it's all caused by something else that I haven't thought of :)

The only other information I can give is the log output from the Security section of event viewer:
[font "Arial"]

Event Type: Success Audit

Event Source: Security

Event Category: Object Access

Event ID: 562

Date: 09/09/2003

Time: 16:16:37

User: (MY COMPUTER NAME)\Administrator

Computer: (MY COMPUTER NAME)

Description:

Handle Closed:

Object Server: Security

Handle ID: 408

Process ID: 2544

Image File Name: C:\WINDOWS\system32\mmc.exe

Any ideas would be very much appreciated!
[font "Arial"]

Thanks in advance,

~James~
James Packham
IT Systems

Re: [James@Atkin] Registration troubles

By Donna - September 9, 2003

Hi James,

Thanks for your post. :)

The problem is that the user that Perl runs as (IUSR_MYSERVER) needs full permissions on the /data/ directory, not just read/write. If you change those permissions you should have no further problems running the software. :)
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com