30, 60, 90 day money back guarantee - comments?

12 posts by 6 authors in: Forums > Off Topic / Other
Last Post: December 10, 2009   (RSS)

• Archived  

By Dave - June 26, 2002

We're thinking about changing our 30 day money back guarantee to be 60 or 90 days. The idea being that it would give people who were undecided about purchasing more confidence in giving it a try knowing that they could return it anytime within 90 days if it wasn't everything they hoped for.

What do you think, good idea, bad idea? Would it make it easier for you to buy our products (or sell them to your customers) if we had a 90 day refund period? Does a 90 day refund period give you more confidence when making a purchase then a 30 day one? Does it make a difference to you?

Let me know what you think! : )

PS: A little background, we're always been very positive and friendly on refunds. We know that not every program are a perfect fit for every project, and that some clients like to "try" a solution before they commit to buying it. People are often apologetic about requesting a refund and surprised we're so forthcoming and friendly about it. The reason is because we believe that the easier it is to "try" our software without risk, the more people will buy and keep it. And for those that do refund, making it a simple and painless process for them makes it more likely that they might try another one of our products out in future knowing we won't hassle them if they decide to return it.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] 30, 60, 90 day money back guarantee - comments?

• Archived  

By canvey - June 26, 2002

Good idea - but what is to stop someone from installing it - saying they do not like it, getting a refund and then still using the product?

Ian

• Archived  

By George_h - June 26, 2002

How would that work of you were buying in bulk to take advantage of the discount??

Personally I think 30 days is okay. Having said that. If someone is having problems getting their head round the set up then a little more time might be in order.

I have a similar question to another posted. What's stopping someone getting a refund and then installing it all over the place.... Have you guys thought about installing a little thing that advises you whenever there is a new installation, verifys the product ID or something like that....
Kind Regards

George

Re: [canvey] 30, 60, 90 day money back guarantee - comments?

• Archived  

By Cathy - June 27, 2002

To canvey: What's to stop them now? Security wasn't the question, I believe. If someone looking to burn a vendor they will do it despite the refund period.

Now, in response to the question...I think that a more generous refund period might very well net you more customers. I always have the product installed and am working with it within the 30 day period, but the time to client use of the product might be 60 or 90 days depending on the rest of the site development involved. While I might absolutely love the product and have found that out within the refund period, the client on the other hand might (but highly unlikely) despise the product.

The secret is to get them to purchase the product, because once they do they love it so much you won't need to worry about refunds!

• Archived  

By chris nz - July 3, 2002

I am looking at Article Manager right now to see if it is right for our internal use (and it looks very promising so far!!) but like many others, I suspect, I have been disappointed in past. Having 60 (or 90) days could help users like me who just spent the last 6 months coming to terms with MacOSX and it's little querks of implementing UNIX....

For example, we bought Tenon's iTools 6.5 for OSX and I must say that while it's working great if the install goes clean, if it doesn't, you have some problems if you are at the beginning of a steep learning curve at both, OS and Application level.

Having said all that, the feedback and repsonse from moderators here seems pretty fantastic by comparison to most sites I have seen so far!

Re: [chris nz] 30, 60, 90 day money back guarantee - comments?

• Archived  

By Dave - July 22, 2002

Thanks everybody for your feedback!

After much thought and discussion, we've decided to go ahead with the 90 day refund period (up from 30 days). All the 30's should be changed to 90's on the website real soon but if need to take advantage of the 90 day refund before we update everything, just ask.
interactivetools.com

Re: [MalaK_3araby] 30, 60, 90 day money back guarantee - comments?

• Archived  

By Dave - July 29, 2002

Q: does the new term apply to software purchased -say- a month ago?

Technically, I'm not sure. Honestly, if there is anything you're unhappy with you should email support@interactivetools.com and talk to them about it. We try very hard to be as flexible as we can and depending on your situation it's likely they can help you with a refund, exchange, credit or whatever you prefer. The best thing to do is send them an email.

If it's really just didn't work out for you the way you hoped, or wasn't the best fit the client, I can't see them not giving you a refund. But, you'll have to ask. : ) If you just want to have an extension on the refund period, just ask for that.

Hope that helps.
interactivetools.com

• Archived  

By MalaK_3araby - July 30, 2002

Hi Dave

I want niether ... as i said .. i am keeping my AM and looking forward for the next upgrade.

You have been VERY friendly and generous with your offers. Thak you.

Off topic:
will the admin interface be templated in future?
<needed for foriegn languages and layout customization>
--------------
Sure you can spell it, but do you get it?

Re: [MalaK_3araby] 30, 60, 90 day money back guarantee - comments?

• Archived  

By Dave - July 30, 2002

will the admin interface be templated in future?
<needed for foriegn languages and layout customization>

Yes, and there will be a language editor built in so you don't have to mess with the admin templates if all you want to do is change the language. The admin templates will be in /templates/admin/. Both of these features are already completed and will be included with new major (X.00) releases.
interactivetools.com