Beta Testers: New "Public Demo Mode" feature

35 posts by 6 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: December 15, 2011   (RSS)

By Toledoh - June 11, 2009

Hi Dave,

Some suggestions to be used or discarded as you see fit 

It would be good to be able to control the “demoMode = “ from the admin… I keep making changes, then uploading the settings.dat.php to turn on/off demo mode and overwriting the changes I just made…

Maybe also a “reset” switch, so I can revert to the base install at any time, rather than waiting for the time to elapse.

With the demo mode plugin, maybe it can automatically add something to all article edited/created. This way, we can set up the front end to display an icon or similar for anything changed in demo mode…

Cheers,
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

Re: [Toledoh] Beta Testers: New "Public Demo Mode" feature

By Dave - June 12, 2009

Hi Tim,

Thanks for the feedback.

For the demo mode switch, the challenges we had with making that part of the UI was that you wouldn't be able to switch it off once on (since you can't edit admin settings in demo mode) and maximizing security (leaving no way for a user to disable demo mode).

Would it work to just download settings.ini.php before you change the demoMode settings and upload it again?

For the reset switch, we have that, try: admin.php?resetDemo=1

It would also be possible to have a plugin add something (a flag, extra text, etc) to records adding or created in demo mode. What would be the purpose for that? Note that each user has their own isolated demo, so user A can't see any content that user B added.

Let me know what you think.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By Toledoh - June 12, 2009

Hi Dave,

Yeah - just downloading and uploading works - it's just easy to over write changes... I was thinking some master password... but that I guess is going a bit far.

The reset is perfect... ta. Just for ease, I may add it to the header - just for ease of use.

I guess I didn't test to well, I didn't realise that you can have multiple demos happening at the same time. Negates my third question!

Brilliant!
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Toledoh - June 15, 2009

I'm not sure whether this is an error on my side or with the demo...

http://www.forrest.id.au/nutsandbolts/index.php

If you search for "test" you get 2 results... one with it in the title, one in the summary.

However, if you search for "article" you get an error.

The code I've used is;
<form method="post" class="search" action="news.php">
<p><input name="title,summary,content_keyword" class="textbox" type="text" />
<input name="search" class="searchbutton" value="Search News" type="submit" /></p>
</form>

Cheers,
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Dave - June 16, 2009

Tim,

Great demo design, it really showcases all the different features! My first guess is that you have a viewer on that page that is loading a single record and you need to add:

'allowSearch' => false,

to it's options so it ignores the search options. If you attach the viewer file I could take a look for you.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com

By ross - June 16, 2009

Hi Tim

Thanks for posting!

I think that might actually have to do with the word "article". My first thought is that it might be the same name as one of your sections or something like that and there's a conflict. Could you post a copy of that page for me to take a look at?

Also, does that same thing happen when you aren't in demo mode.

Thanks!
-----------------------------------------------------------
Cheers,
Ross Fairbairn - Consulting
consulting@interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
Template changes, advanced features, full integration, whatever you
need. Whether you need one hour or fifty, get it done fast with
Priority Consulting: http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

By Toledoh - June 16, 2009

Yep - it was the 'allowSearch' => false,

Glad you like the demo, it's just a template from http://www.styleshout.com/index.php which I think I found from one of your newsletters at some stage...[;)]

Will be adding a bit more to it over the next while... I've found CMSB marries well with jQuery stuff - so nice news sliders etc are very easy to add.

Cheers,
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Dave - June 16, 2009 - edited: June 16, 2009

Yea I really like jQuery. My long term plan is to incorporate it into the code generator as it would make it easier to do slideshows and galleries, etc.

Actually what I'd really like to do is switch over to use the jQuery UI framework, as it would be really easy to change the colors and have a unified design theme, but that will have to come after some other features as it will take quite a bit of a rewrite.

We've released a final version with the demo code. You can read about it here: http://www.interactivetools.com/forum/gforum.cgi?post=72360#72360

Thanks for your help with the beta test!
interactivetools.com

By Toledoh - June 16, 2009

Sounds Great!

Do I need to update to the latest 1.29 for the demo I'm running? Are there additional things in the official release?

Cheers,
Tim
Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Dave - June 16, 2009

Nothing major, you could just as easily wait for a future release when there's something new and upgrade then.
interactivetools.com