Upload error 401

12 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 25, 2013   (RSS)

By weblm - September 17, 2013 - edited: September 17, 2013

Recently moved to a new server and I have updated all image paths.....but I'm getting this trying to upload using an upload field:

Error uploading 'filename', server returned: HTTP 401

Uploads in the WYSIWYG editor are fine.

Any ideas?

I should mention I even created a new section and new upload field and that doesn't work either.

-Kevin

LM

By weblm - September 17, 2013

Ok, disabled Flash uploader and they work.  Now looking into different browsers.

-Kevin

LM

By Jason - September 17, 2013

Hi Kevin,

If you could send in a 2nd Level Support request (https://www.interactivetools.com/support/email_support_form.php?priority=free) we can take a look into this and find out what's going on.

Thanks.

---------------------------------------------------
Jason Sauchuk - Project Manager
interactivetools.com

Hire me! Save time by getting our experts to help with your project.
http://www.interactivetools.com/consulting/

Same error on all browsers.  Also tried my old dev site and it's working fine.  So it's something to do with the move to the new host and the flash uploader.

Anyone ever encounter anything like this?

-Kevin

LM

Anything you can suggest I try?  Site is protected and I'd need to get approval to open it up.

-Kevin

LM

By weblm - September 17, 2013 - edited: September 17, 2013

Ok, getting weirder......doesn't work in:

Chrome - Mac
Firefox - Mac/PC
Safari - Mac

Does work on:

Chrome - PC
IE9

Does work on Chrome Mac if I use the Chrome flash plugin.

Weird thing is.....the non-Chrome flash plugin works on the other DEV site.

-Kevin

LM

By Jason - September 17, 2013

Hi Kevin,

The first thing we should do is to see if we can make the upload work across all browsers so we can rule out server issues.  If you go under Admin -> General Settings and under "Advanced Settings" and disable the flash uploader.   After that, trying uploading images across the different browsers and let me know if you are still running into issues.

Thanks

interactivetools.com

I have NO issues uploading in any browser if I DISABLE the flash uploader.

It's only an issue using the flash uploader, but it's not consistent.  In fact.....I can use the same browser on an old DEV site (different server) and it works.....but doesn't on the new DEV site.  However, other browsers DO work fine with the flash uploader.

-Kevin

LM

By Jason - September 18, 2013

Hi Kevin,

Okay, is there an active installation on the old server still?  Would it be possible for us to get FTP/CMS access to both installations?  That way we can do some tests on each to see if we can track down what is different between the 2.

If this is possible, please send this information in to support@interactivetools.com.  Please don't post any login information in the forum.

Hope this helps,

interactivetools.com

By weblm - September 19, 2013

Jason,

Figured it out.  

The problem itself - the HTTP 401 error seems to stem from having an .htaccess configuration where we are using a username/password to block access to the site while it's in development.  Seems that in some browsers, and some versions of Flash are not liking that authorization.  Basically even though the browser is authenticated, the flash player isn't, therefore the upload fails.  No idea why this effects certain browsers and versions of flash.

The reason I didn't see it on my other DEV site is because at the time I was using a IP block, not a username/password auth.  I just switched the other site to username/password and it failed to.  

Issue resolved.  We can use the HTML uploader until the site goes live....and then swtich it back to flash once the auth is removed.

-Kevin

LM