Plugins: I'd buy a plugin that did...? (Post Here)

34 posts by 21 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder: Plugins & Add-ons
Last Post: July 2, 2010   (RSS)

By Dave - August 5, 2009

Hi Everyone,

We're planning on making some paid plugins and we have a lot of ideas but I wanted to ask everyone what you would like to see.

Paid plugins can be developed much quicker than free, because the cost of development gets covered quicker. We want to strike a balance, though, so our thinking is we'll have unlimited licensing, meaning you buy a plugin once and you can use it with all your CMSB installs.

Plugins can extend or modify the software in many ways from simple to very advanced.

Some of our ideas (and previous requests) include:
- Database Cache Plugin (to cache output and reduce server load on high traffic sites)
- Code Generator Plugins (CGP) to extend the code generator including:
- CGP to generate an email form (and/or save to database)
- CGP for user website signups and login only pages
- CGP for search form generator
- Change Alerts, automatically email selected users when a record is added, modified or removed
- CSV export - ability to export selected records or a section as a excel or CSV file.
- 404 Tracker - track 404s on website and automatically redirect
- Twitter Poster - automatically post to twitter when a section is updated.

Please post your ideas or favorites and what you'd pay for a one time plugin license (that you could use with all your CMSB installs).

Thanks for your feedback!
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Plugins: I'd buy a plugin that did...? (Post Here)

By InHouse - August 5, 2009

Some great ideas Dave.

As you know, I've been making noises about a calendar of events system. Have done linear calendars in CMSB quite nicely, but as soon as they need recurring data handlers etc. things fall down. This would be on my wish list for several sites of mine.

Another item would be a sitemap.xml generator. That's a bit more straightforward.

J.

By northernpenguin - August 5, 2009

Dave: great idea! How about:

a. event calendar
b. advanced search engine (multi-table, multi-field)

Thanx again for a great product.
--
northernpenguin
Northern Penguin Technologies

"Any sufficiently advanced technology
is indistinguishable from magic."
........Arthur C. Clarke

Re: [northernpenguin] Plugins: I'd buy a plugin that did...? (Post Here)

By Moonworks - August 6, 2009

I'd buy a plugin that did...the dishes

Auto membership would be good, also enabling a forum to be linked in with the membership details on a CMSB site, this would be a biggie for me.
High quality residential training for writers, actors & Film Making - Click Here for further information

By InHouse - August 6, 2009

Was just reminded of another couple of wish-list items today:

1 - Banner/Ad plug-in: controls display, banner sets belonging to just one client who might have more than 1 ad, click counts, destination controls, publish/unpublish dates.

2 - Oh, yeah... as shopping cart -> payment gateway tool. Getting one to draw from a CMSB table of products has proven interesting. Invoicing/receipt, tax rules, shipping options, etc. More than just a plug-in perhaps, but I'd love to see you guys set your sights on a tool like this that works well with CMSB.

Cheers,
J.

Re: [InHouse] Plugins: I'd buy a plugin that did...? (Post Here)

By aev - August 10, 2009

Some great ideas Dave.

As you know, I've been making noises about a calendar of events system. Have done linear calendars in CMSB quite nicely, but as soon as they need recurring data handlers etc. things fall down. This would be on my wish list for several sites of mine.

Another item would be a sitemap.xml generator. That's a bit more straightforward.

J.
~~~
No.1 Interactive Tools Fanboy

I agree with InHouse; a calendar/events system and a sitemap plug-in.

-aev-

By rconring - August 10, 2009

Dave ...

I don't know how many times I have wished for CSV data export. I would definately purchase an export plug-in. I suppose what it would be worth would depend on how elaborate it is. Hopefully it could combine data from related tables into one export.

I hope you get a ton of requests for this.
I would also agree the an event calendar would be a good seller.
Ron Conring
Conring Automation Services
----------------------------------------
Software for Business and Industry Since 1987

Re: [rconring] Plugins: I'd buy a plugin that did...? (Post Here)

By Dave - August 10, 2009

Hi Ron,

CSV data export is on our list. How would you want the data combined from related tables? Is there a generic way it could be done or does it rely on knowledge of how each particular CMS is setup?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

By rconring - August 10, 2009

Probably more generic, based on parent/child relationships in the SQL database. I would be happy with a simple export of a table or a subset based on a query. I just passed up a job that I could have done within their budget if I had not been faced with having to write a daily data export. With my limited experience with PHP/SQL, it would have been too time consuming.
Ron Conring
Conring Automation Services
----------------------------------------
Software for Business and Industry Since 1987

By Djulia - August 11, 2009

Hi Dave,

I do not know if that can help for the reflection. But, for us the problem with export is with the table _uploads.

We have sometimes several tables which use the table _uploads. Also, the data combined from related tables would be very useful to export the table with the data of the table _uploads[tableName] !

Cheers, Djulia