multiple check boxes

4 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 27, 2008   (RSS)

By Chris_t - February 27, 2008

Question, I know in listing and job manager you could make a field with multiple check boxes. I am trying to do that in CMS and I get an error message. The client wants to add listings in more than one category I figured check boxes would work but I can only make one.

Thanks
Chris

Re: [ChrisTitchenal] multiple check boxes

By Dave - February 27, 2008

There's no multi-value fields yet. :( So the only way to do it is to create multiple fields: category1, category2, etc.

One way to have multiple category selections is to create a menu for "categories" and then a few dropdowns that load their values from that menu. Then you only have to update your categories in one place.

Would that work for you?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] multiple check boxes

By Chris_t - February 27, 2008

Hi Dave thanks for replying to both of my questions.

So what you are saying is to do the same as in my other question about a category menu list.

"Create a new menu called category with these fields: num, title

Go to the category menu and add a few records, one for each category."

In the coupon menu will that be a drop down list filed that will contain the items from the category menu?

If so then I will just add more than one dropdown field say 3 so they can pick 3 categories the coupon will go in.

Now how will a search work then because category is a big part of how people are going to search the site if I have category1, category2, category3.

I am trying not to be confused, but for a guy who mainly does the artwork this is tricky

thanks

Chris

Re: [ChrisTitchenal] multiple check boxes

By Dave - February 27, 2008

That sounds exactly right to me.

The way you search multiple fields at once is instead of this:

category1_keyword=sports

you use this:

category1,category2,category3_keyword=sports

And the program automatically figures out the MySQL query and all the complicated stuff for you.

There's some more details in the docs here:
http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/cmsbuilder/viewer_search.html

Hope that helps. If you still have troubles I can help you set it up. But give it a try first and let me know how it goes.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com