advanced cropping and thumbnail creation

6 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: August 2, 2016   (RSS)

By rez - July 10, 2016 - edited: July 11, 2016

Hi. I was wondering if you have considered more advanced cropping for images like WordPress users have. I am redesigning a site that used WordPress and the client was able to crop 1 image square, vertical, and landscape while keeping the main subject framed. I have a folder full of images they cropped using their CMS. 

If I wanted to make a gallery with square thumbs but various large versions, it would be simple. A customer could easily manage it. Some of this can be done with CSS of course but allowing a client to crop and frame would be very useful and valuable. Please consider updating the uploads feature to allow this type of advanced cropping or let me know if there is a third party script that would integrate seamlessly without jumping out of CMSB.

By Toledoh - July 11, 2016

http://cloudinary.com/ is getting some pretty good press.  Would be great to have an integration with it - but currently sitting low in my to-do list...

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By Daryl - July 12, 2016

Hi rez,

We're currently working on image cropping feature for image thumbnails.

If enabled, the uploaded image will be cropped automatically to the width and height that you set on the upload field's field editor page.

I believe it will be included in the next CMSB release.

Daryl Maximo
PHP Programmer - interactivetools.com

By rez - August 2, 2016 - edited: August 2, 2016

Nice. I just re-read and realized you said, "thumbnails". I believe it would be most usable to have the thumbnail cropped differently than the full image or not cropping the full image at all. Without this, I would rarely use the cropping. It would ruin the full image. Is this what you meant, the ability to crop only the thumb? That would be fantastic. :) I could make a perfect grid of thumbs and the large versions could be any orientation or size.

By rez - August 2, 2016 - edited: August 2, 2016

...then in the version that follows, you will add focal point or marquee cropping. *waves hand* https://wagtail.io/features/image-cropping/ (I'm not sure if Jedi mind tricks work through typed messages but that's how you should read this anyway)

By Toledoh - August 2, 2016

I hope the force is with you Rez!

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)