Workflow

5 posts by 3 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 4, 2019   (RSS)

By nojust1 - February 28, 2019

Is there a way to implement a workflow? I'd like to have content owners edit their own content but there needs to be a review process. Setting content back to Pending status would remove it from view. Is there a way updated content could reviewed but the original content stays in public view? If not, is there an easy way to migrate content from a test environment to production?

Thanks,

Kevin

By gkornbluth - February 28, 2019

Hey Kevin,

There are a number of approaches to this type of thing.

A number of them are documented in my CMSB Cookbook.

How much content and what type are you looking to work with.

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By nojust1 - March 1, 2019

Hi Jerry,

It's a relatively small site and only a few users would have access to edit their own content. I'm testing the use of a another content field that stores the live content while the other content field is used for pending content. I'm just trying to figure out how to process the change when the content is made visible.

Thanks,

Kevin

By gkornbluth - March 1, 2019

Hi Kevin,

There's a recipe in the Cookbook that I used to create an account record after approval of multiple fields of information:

USING AN EMAIL TEMPLATE TO CREATE A NEW ACCOUNT RECORD

It creates a new record after approval but can easily be revised to update a record after approval of a submission instead

I found it easier then having to log into the backend for each approval

Hope that helps,

JerryKornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By daniel - March 4, 2019

Hi Kevin,

I think you're most of the way to a full solution. I would go about this with a two-step process:

1. First, as you've done, use two content fields - one for live content, and one for pending. I would also add a checkbox field called "Pending." Only allow the user to modify the pending content, and each time they modify the record, automatically check the Pending checkbox.
    • This works best if you're using front-end forms for the users to manage their content. If they're using the CMSB back-end, you may want to just ask them to check the Pending checkbox manually when they have pending changes to be reviewed, and use the Access level in the field editor to hide the live content field.
  2. Second, I would create a custom front-end page visible to Admin only that displays all content with the Pending checkbox checked. It could show any relevant fields, plus links to trigger a process that either accepts the new content (copies pending content to live content, uncheck Pending checkbox) or reject (empty pending content uncheck Pending checkbox)

I hope that helps get you on the right track, let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Daniel
Technical Lead
interactivetools.com