Transferring from dev pc to server?

9 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 25, 2008   (RSS)

By jimbly2 - January 21, 2008

Hi,

now I have my database and data all set up on my dev machine, what's the best procedure for transferring it all to the web server?

thanks,

Jim

Re: [jimbly2] Transferring from dev pc to server?

By Dave - January 21, 2008

Hi Jim,

If you just copy over your viewers and your /data/schema/*.* files the program will re-create all the menus when you go into the section editor on the new server.

Do you have much data entered and records created? Other than 3rd party tools for exporting/importing MySql data we don't have a mechanism for transferring MySql data. Let me know if that's going to be an issue (for example if you've entered a lot of data) and I'll do some research on it for you.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Transferring from dev pc to server?

By jimbly2 - January 21, 2008

Hi Dave,

..ok that's easy enough then. :-) I have a fair amount of data entered, but I think I can transfer it using something like Navicat?

Still having problems installing on the server and getting that file writable - because I'm just going in through the browser, the server admin reckons he'd have to grant 'guest' write permissions which he doesn't want to do....sigh! I'll get there in the end.

Looks like you guys have ben busy - I haven't even installed ver 7 yet - and ver 8 is out! Excellent stuff ;-)

cheers,

Jim

By Dave - January 21, 2008

Navicat looks like it could do the job. Give it a try.

Also, you'll want to download you /uploads/ folder and transfer those as well.

As for permissions, that server is on Windows right? Is it a smaller hosting provider? Typically the web server runs as it's own user account called IUSER_SERVERNAME where servername is the name of the server. That's the account that needs access. We have some basic instructions for windows server admins here:

http://www.interactivetools.com/docs/common/popuphelp/perms_win2.html

It talks about Perl, but it's the same for PHP and Perl or any language that needs access to files on the server.

Hope that helps! Let us know if there is anything we can do to assist.
interactivetools.com

By jimbly2 - January 24, 2008

Hi Dave,

got it all running on the server - then the client decided that it all has to be transferred to an off-shore ( Jersey ) server.....so of course now admin.php gives me an error message that the server name is wrong :-(

Do I need to delete it all and re-install - or is there a simpler way?

thanks

Jim

Don't worry - sorted it. I'm getting the hang of this :-)

cheers

Jim

I had to say that didn't I? :-) It appears that I have the admin all working fine - but nothing appears on the pages :-(

No error messages - but no content either. What have I missed?

thanks

Jim

By Dave - January 24, 2008

You can turn on extended error by adding this code to lib/init.php. We're going to do this by default for the next version.

Search for "error_reporting" in lib/init.php and replace this:

### set error reporting
error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT); // display all errors

With this:

### set error reporting
error_reporting(E_ALL | E_STRICT); // display all errors
ini_set('display_errors', '1');
ini_set('display_startup_errors', '1');

That might give you some more detailed errors. If not I can always login and troubleshoot it for you.
interactivetools.com

By jimbly2 - January 25, 2008

Hi Dave,

thanks for that - I managed to sort it in the end - I had an absolute path in for the 'include once' statement on the page - just changed that to a relative one and it was fine :-)

Thanks for all your help,

Jim