Re: [Dave] Displaying in rows of 2 Is this possible?

8 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: November 29, 2010   (RSS)

By Mikey - October 12, 2010

Dave or anyone,
I need to split a list of business addresses posted in the WYSIWYG of a single record into columns. I've tried the code below, but the business addresses continue to post vertically within the final site page and do not flow into columns. I know there's something I'm missing, but I can't wrap my head around what it is and I think I'm going about how to do this all wrong. I think I need some kind of code that splits the business address content entered in the WYSIWYG after a </p> </br> or something else.

Can someone help me get this sorted out.

I'd like to sort the addresses so that after the first business addresses is posted, the next business addresses post in a new column directly to the right of the first. When a third business address is posted, it is displayed in a 3rd column directly to the right of the 2nd. When a 4th business address is posted, it is displayed in a new column that re-flows below the first business address column and so on.

Here's my CSS:
#columns {
width:191px;
float:left;
}

Here's my code:
<table width="191" border="0" align="left">
<tr>
<?php foreach ($business_addressesRecords as $record): ?>
<td valign="top"><div id="columns"><p><?php echo $record['columns'] ?></p></div></td>
<?php $maxCols=3; if (@++$count % $maxCols == 0): ?>
</tr><tr>
<?php endif ?>
<?php endforeach; ?>
</tr>
</table>

Re: [zickey] Displaying in rows of 2 Is this possible?

By Chris - October 12, 2010

Hi zickey,

That's somewhat problematic. Using a Text Box Field would be safer because you'd know there would always be the same character between lines, but with a Wysiwyg Field lots of things can find their way into the HTML, especially if you copy-and-paste.

Either way you do it, you'll want to first take a look at what you're dealing with. Use the following code to take a look at exactly what data you'll be working with:

<?php echo showme($my_record['my_field']) ?>

(Substitute the name of your record variable and field name above.)

Let's assume that you end up with something like this:

<p>line one</p>
<p>line two</p>
<p>line three</p>
<p>line four</p>

You can use preg_match_all to pattern match everything inside each <p /> tag:

<?php preg_match_all("/<p>(.*?)<\/p>/", $my_record['my_field'], $matches) ?>

<?php $count = 0 ?>
<tr>
<?php foreach ($matches[1] as $line): ?>
<td>
<?php echo $line ?>
</td>
</tr><tr>
<?php endif ?>
<?php endforeach ?>
</tr>
</table>

Does that help? Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris

Re: [chris] Displaying in rows of 2 Is this possible?

Thanks Chris works nice! In regards to the problems that could result from copy-and-paste. If I where to convert this to populate from a text box instead of a WYSIWYG, could I use the same code, or do I need to make any changes to it to use with a texbox field? ... assuming the field name is the same.

Thanks,
Zick

Re: [zickey] Displaying in rows of 2 Is this possible?

By Chris - October 12, 2010

Hi zickey,

A Text Box Field will separate lines with "<br />\n" (where \n is a newline) unless you've set the "Disable auto-formatting" setting on the field.

You can split on "<br />\n" like this:

<?php $count = 0 ?>
<tr>
<?php foreach (explode("<br/>\n", $my_record['my_field']) as $line): ?>
<td>
<?php echo $line ?>
</td>
</tr><tr>
<?php endif ?>
<?php endforeach ?>
</tr>
</table>

If you've set "Disable auto-formatting", you'll want to change the first argument of explode to "\n".

I hope this helps! Please let me know if you have any questions.
All the best,
Chris

Thanks Chris!
Nice to have two options to present to the client. I think they'll go with the WYSIWYG option so they can include web links to businesses, but I'll have to make it clear to them not to copy-and-paste and instead build their business address listings directly in the CMS.

Cheers, Zick

By Mikey - November 27, 2010

Chris, I'm using the code you provided to split some records into columns with bullets, but I'm getting some blank bullet areas. Is there a way to trim out the bullet list that doesn't actually have anything applied to it. For example, I've got a bullet at the top of all my list that has nothing beside the bullet and at the end of the each record's list results I have another bullet without anything else beside it.

Example:

• Accounting
• Custodian
• Receptionist

I'm getting the records from a checkbox list.

<?php $count = 0 ?>
<table border="0" align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" id="job_list_table">
<tr>
<?php foreach (explode("\t", $record['job_list']) as $line): ?>
<td valign="top">
<div id="job_list_columns">
<ul><li><?php echo $line ?></li></ul></div>
</td>
<?php $maxCols=2; if (@++$count % $maxCols == 0): ?>
</tr><tr>
<?php endif ?>
<?php endforeach ?>
</tr>
</table>

Re: [zick] Displaying in rows of 2 Is this possible?

By Mikey - November 27, 2010

Chris, I got this figured out. I found a thread that had the solution I needed to trim out empty results. Here's the thread if anyone else need to figure this out. I've updated the code below with the fix.
http://www.interactivetools.com/iforum/Products_C2/CMS_Builder_F35/Re%3A_%5BDave%5D_Displaying_in_rows_of_2_____Is_this_possible_P83928/gforum.cgi?post=79155;search_string=trim%20empty;guest=63885067&t=search_engine#79155

Chris, I'm using the code you provided to split some records into columns with bullets, but I'm getting some blank bullet areas. Is there a way to trim out the bullet list that doesn't actually have anything applied to it. For example, I've got a bullet at the top of all my list that has nothing beside the bullet and at the end of the each record's list results I have another bullet without anything else beside it.

Issue Example:

• Accounting
• Custodian
• Receptionist

Fixed Example with trim added to code as seen below:
• Accounting
• Custodian
• Receptionist

I'm getting the records from a checkbox list.

<?php $count = 0 ?>
<table border="0" align="left" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" id="job_list_table">
<tr>
<?php foreach (explode("\t", trim ($record['job_list'])) as $line): ?>
<td valign="top">
<div id="job_list_columns">
<ul><li><?php echo $line ?></li></ul></div>
</td>
<?php $maxCols=2; if (@++$count % $maxCols == 0): ?>
</tr><tr>
<?php endif ?>
<?php endforeach ?>
</tr>
</table>

Re: [zick] Displaying in rows of 2 Is this possible?

By Chris - November 29, 2010

Hi zick,

Glad to hear you got everything sorted out. :)
All the best,
Chris