Questions... Questions... Anyone?

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: January 29, 2008   (RSS)

By Dave - January 29, 2008

Everybody doing well? Any questions?

Anyone have any new sites to show off? :)

We're here for you if you need us.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Questions... Questions... Anyone?

By BigBear - January 29, 2008

Hi Dave,

Just when you thought it was safe to go back to message forum:....

Ok here is what I am hoping is possible... If you visit my site (http://www.alexandria-ontario.com) you will see that I have a little calendar on the menu's... Its a simple table set up.

I am working on an "Events" Calendar for our community. I enter the event into a database and just like my biz directory (which works wells now.. thanks Dave), I would like to link specific dates on the calendar. Not a big deal.. easy enough cause I do that manually.. here is what I would like to do....

Is it possible to tie a form to the database that I am creating for the events so that when people enter in their particular event, it automatically gets added to the database... all I would need to do is go into the database and 'activate' the record for showing via the CMB program. The reason I would like to tie it into a form on the web page is because I want the public to be able to post their events. The way I am doing it now is through a form, they send it, I copy all the information and then post it. I would like to be able to streamline that to one step - verification and activating, or deletion....

Any way that can be done?

Thanks.

PS: Been workin on trying to get the link on the random banner..... probs..

Rob Parker

Re: [BigBear] Questions... Questions... Anyone?

By Dave - January 29, 2008

Hi Rob,

So you want a form that adds events to the database but with a "hidden" checkbox set by default so they don't show up in the list?

If that's right, I can help you with that. Just make the form you want and send me that and your events schema file (look in /data/schema/).

On the random banner, if it's still not working you can try this process. Start with everything and remove things until you have only what you want:

1) Create an upload field (upload) and link url field (text field)
2) Create a new list viewer that show all the records
3) Add the block of code from the "Page Viewer" the shows uploads
4) Get it to sort randomly
5) Get it to just show the records you want
6) Get it to just show 1 record
7) Remove all the extra code you don't want
8) Add the code into your existing page (or call your new viewer with a SSI or PHP include)

It's often way easier to work on things in isolation before you add it to all the code in your existing page. If you want to give that a try just go one step at a time and let me know if you get stuck anywhere. Make sure you get each step working before you move onto the next.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com