Question on CMS Builider 1.10 - Displaying across multiple domains

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 5, 2008   (RSS)

By Codee - March 4, 2008

Hi Dave and Co.,
I just want to ENSURE I'm understanding this option correctly - because I have a client that wants it:

We can load/build our content management system (CMS Builder) on one domain (say rocketscience.com) and view the inventory not only on the primary domain (rocketscience.com) but also display the inventory results on a separate domain (say gottahaveit.com)or domains (like gottahaveit.com, mypersonalrocket.com, etc.)?

Is this correct? IT's EXACTLY what is needed.

Terry

Re: [equinox69] Question on CMS Builider 1.10 - Displaying across multiple domains

By Dave - March 5, 2008

Hi Terry,

What the new option does is tell the WYSIWYG to add http://www.domain.com/ to links and images that don't have it. So if you upload an image in the wysiwyg or create a link to "/dir/file.html" or "/uploads/file.jpg" it will add the http:// and domain in front of it..

Usually you don't want this, because if you switch domains all your local links will be broken (pointing to your old domain), but in the case where you are viewing content from multiple domains, it may be just what you need.

Hope that makes sense. It only takes effect for links saved _after_ you toggle the option.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Question on CMS Builider 1.10 - Displaying across multiple domains

By Codee - March 5, 2008

Dave,
here's how we'd "like" to utilize it. Let me know if it won't work across domains.

On one domain we have a set of multiple users, dealers, per se. Each one has a separate login and maintains their own listings. The dealers put in 2 sets of prices: 1) one for other dealers on the network, and,2) one for retail pricing.

All the listings are viewable via the viewers through CMS on the dealer network domain.

Then without having to duplicate adding the inventory, we'd like the listings to display on a different domain but we show the retail pricing.

This way the dealers add their inventory listings once - but the listings display on the dealer network domain and on a retail network domain.

Does that make sense?

Terry

Re: [equinox69] Question on CMS Builider 1.10 - Displaying across multiple domains

By Dave - March 5, 2008

Ok, I get it.

If the domains are on the same filesystem (and server) you should just be able to have another copy of the viewer on the second domain.

If that doesn't work, you'd need another install of CMS Builder on the second website and connect to the MySQL server on the first website that had all your listings.

If that didn't work (because your domains are on different servers and MySQL doesn't let you connect from different servers) we could output the listings as javascript and use a javascript tag to pull it in from a different website.

Would any of those solutions work for you?
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Question on CMS Builider 1.10 - Displaying across multiple domains

By Codee - March 5, 2008

Dave,

Wow! Options!!! ;-)

It's possible 2 of the 3 will work for this client and we know the parameters prior to setting him up. Thanks!

Again...you guys rock! I'm so glad someone referred me to your company (Mark Hastings) - it's already been a tremendous help to our clients.

Have a great day!

Terry