MySQL Issues while trying to install

5 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: July 30, 2018   (RSS)

By shawnpatoka - July 25, 2018

I was building my site on a test server and got CMS Builder to install just fine. However, I just tried to install it on the actual server where the website is going to be hosted on, and I am getting some MySQL errors like the following:

Error connecting to MySQL:
2002 - Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock' (2)

I get the above error that displays in the actual install page, on the very top. If I change the MySQL Hostname from "localhost" to "sql5c40n.carrierzone.com" the page refreshes and it goes to a completely blank white page with black text that says:

mysqli: error setting character set utf8mb4: Can't initialize character set utf8mb4 (path: /usr/share/mysql/charsets/)

I tried disabling the php.ini, .htaccess, and users.ini files, still no luck.

Is this something I need to contact my hosting company's customer support about? Or is there something I can change to fix this. 

Thanks!

By daniel - July 26, 2018

Hi shawnpatoka,

Yes, it looks like you will need to contact your host to ask if they are able to add support for the utf8mb4 character set in MySQL. This support should be available in MySQL 5.5.3+ (released in 2010).

Here is some boilerplate you can use when contacting your host:

Hello Web Host!

I am attempting to install some web software on my hosting which requires MySQL version 5.5.3+ with support for the utf8mb4 character set. I have encountered the following error which indicates that these requirements are not being met:

mysqli: error setting character set utf8mb4: Can't initialize character set utf8mb4 (path: /usr/share/mysql/charsets/)

Could you please confirm whether or not my hosting package currently supports this, and if not, can support be added?

Thanks!

Let me know if you need assistance with anything else.

Thanks,

Daniel
Technical Lead
interactivetools.com

By shawnpatoka - July 27, 2018

Thanks for the response!

I reached out to the support for the hosting company. They responded with the following:

Unfortunately, due to our system's features we do not support utf8mb4_unicode_520_ci and utf8mb4_general_ci, because there is no way such changes be implemented for particular users on a shared platform as it will affect every user. This may be implemented for all users in the future. You may find this link useful: https://stackoverflow.com/questions/42385099/1273-unknown-collation-utf8mb4-unicode-520-ci/44877331

I took a look at that link, but I have no idea what it means or if it's helpful at all.

Will I end up having to switch to a different hosting company to use CMS Builder?

Thanks

By daniel - July 30, 2018

Hi shawnpatoka,

From the information you've provided, it appears that your current hosting does not fully support the latest version of CMSB.

Other than switching to a new host with the proper support, one potential solution would be to use a slightly older version of CMSB. If you would like to try that route, please send me an email at daniel@interactivetools.com, and I can send you the latest CMSB version that doesn't require the unsupported character set.

Let me know if you have any further questions!

Thanks,

Daniel
Technical Lead
interactivetools.com

By shawnpatoka - July 30, 2018

I think I am actually going to switch hosting companies to one that will support the current version of CMSB.