Membership plug-in SAML 2.0 compliant

By craig_bcd - December 16, 2013

I have a client who is interested in having a corporate intranet site created.  Because they don't have a technology infrastructure that would allow me to run it behind a firewall and protect it from the outside world using that and VPN I am thinking I will use the membership plugin to control who has access to what sections/information in the website.  I do have a pretty clear understanding of this but they indicated they are seriously considering moving to a single sign-on (SSO) methodology and are looking at companies like Ping Identity to provide that SSO experience.  The qualification for integration into Ping (or the others for that matter) is SAML 2.0 compatibility.

That leads me to my question - can the membership plug-in be SAML 2.0 compliant?  How hard is that?  Can I do it?  Can I pay you to do it?

Thanks!

Craig

By Dave - December 17, 2013

Hi Craig, 

It could definitely be done with custom programming and it looks like there are a number of PHP libraries available that implement it: https://www.google.ca/search?q=php+SAML

We've implemented other custom login systems before that piggyback on another system, a rough guesstimate would be 10-20 hours of custom programming and testing.

I'd ask a lot of questions about what they're really trying to accomplish.  And how long is it going to take to offset the cost of setting up SSO across all their applications as measured against time saved, etc? 

The simplest solution would be just to setup a .htaccess file to password protect the folders, or website membership.  

Hope that helps, I've built lots of intranets, let me know if I can be of any assistance in answering questions.

Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com