How to create a multipage extensible list?

8 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: February 27, 2008   (RSS)

By Fredx - February 24, 2008

Hi, folks:

I have CMS Builder up and running and am able to incorporate static page elements.

I need to create a page that looks like this:

<h1>Recommended Reading</h1>

<ul>

<li> My book, by Ima Author, 2005

<li> Another book, by Wrangled Writer, 2008

</ul>

=====

The entries may be more complex than this, but this is the basic idea. For each entry, the user should be able to enter:

- book title

- author

- year.

Sorry, I couldn't find any doc on this feature. Did I miss it? Does it exist? If so, how would one implement it?

Thanks

Fred

Re: [Fredx] How to create a multipage extensible list?

By Dave - February 25, 2008

Hi Fred,

The first step would be to setup fields in your section editor for each of those.

So create a new section editor. Then remove any fields you don't need. Then add a new "text field" for each of these: title, author, year, etc

Hope that makes sense. Let me know how far you get or which part is not making sense and I'll be happy to help you out.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] How to create a multipage extensible list?

By Fredx - February 25, 2008

Hi, Dave:

I created various fields: author, publisher, etc. in admin -> section editor for the reading material section. Then I modified the reading material contents and filled in data for these fields.

However, there is only one set of these fields, thus this set is not extensible. How do I make it extensible - e.g., with multiple books and articles listed?

Thanks,

Fred

By Dave - February 25, 2008

In the Section Editor, make sure your section type is "Multi-page", then you should get a list of records when you click on the editor and be able to click "Create" to add as many records as you like.

Let me know if that helps.
interactivetools.com

By Fredx - February 26, 2008

Ahh - so you are saying that if my client might have up to 500 reading items, I have to create:

item1 author
item1 date
item1 publisher
item1 comments

item2 author
item2 date
item2 publisher
item2 comments

item500 author
item500 date
item500 publisher
item500 comments

Is that correct?

Fred

By Dave - February 26, 2008

I think so. No 500 fields, but 500 records. So you'd create a section called "Reading Items" with fields: author, date, publisher, comments.

Then, you would click on the new "Read Items" in the menu, click "Create" and add a reading item 500 times.

Of course, in practice you should add just a few and make sure they're displaying on your website correctly and that no other changes are required.

Hope that helps!
interactivetools.com

By Fredx - February 26, 2008

Dave:

To view these items on my website, would I include code from the page viewer, or from the list viewer?

Fred

By Dave - February 27, 2008

Fred,

Usually you'd create both. And you'd have the list viewer have your list of reading material with just titles and you could click on the title to link to the page viewer which would show more details about that particular reading item.

Hope that helps. If you're trying to make it look like something you already have designed feel free to post an url to that page as an example.
interactivetools.com