Develop CMS Builder website before dns changes?

3 posts by 2 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: March 27, 2008   (RSS)

By matrix - March 27, 2008

We're developing a new site for a client, incorporating CMS Builder, of course. Client has an old site with domain name. When we finish, we'll change the dns for that domain name to the new site location.

There's no reason why we can't complete the site at the new location before the dns is changed and have it display properly (without modifications) after dns changes, is there? Paths in the General Settings of the installation are the same we'd use before and after that happens. I think.

Anything we should be aware of before doing this? For instance, if we did have to change the paths in General Settings after the move, am I right in thinking those are related only to the uploads using that designated default upload directory?

Thank you.
Happy Interactive Tools product user since 1999

Re: [matrix] Develop CMS Builder website before dns changes?

By Dave - March 27, 2008

Just check that this option is unchecked under: Admin > General > Advanced Settings:

[ ] WYSIWYG Options - Save full URL for local links and images (for viewers on other domains)

It's unchecked by default so you should be fine. Other than that, there shouldn't be anything that would store the domain name. And yes, the upload paths are only used for uploads.

The only thing to watch for is that your IP or Dev site has the same upload url from the website root. So if your dev site has uploads in http://dev/myuploads/ and your live site has them in http://livesite/common/uploads/ then any previously uploaded images would be linked from the old path (not the domain but the /myuploads/).

I hope that helps (and makes sense). I think you'll be ok.
Dave Edis - Senior Developer
interactivetools.com

Re: [Dave] Develop CMS Builder website before dns changes?

By matrix - March 27, 2008

Yes, thank you. That makes great sense.

Yet another good reason to go with CMS Builder.

Thanks.
Happy Interactive Tools product user since 1999