CMS setup tips and tricks

5 posts by 5 authors in: Forums > CMS Builder
Last Post: May 26, 2017   (RSS)

By zip222 - May 25, 2017

I was thinking it would be interesting to have a place to share some of the methods we use when setting up our sites as a way to learn from each other. I will start with something that works well for me...

I created a single page editor called something like "Global Items". This editor includes a wide variety of common items that are used throughout the site, so example:

- Company Name
- Address info
- Phone numbers and email addresses
- Social Media URLs
- Copyright statement for footer
- Google Analytics code
- Media Contact info

As well as one-off items that I frequently need...
- "Thanks for contacting us..." message
- "Sorry, there are no jobs currently available" message

Then I connect to this editor on every single page of the site, which allows me to use these items as needed.

By Ryan - May 26, 2017

I do the same thing. I've extended mine to include the ability to select style sheets, layout options, site logo etc.

By Toledoh - May 26, 2017

I do similar, plus I have a category based section for pages. I use this to manage the page structure of the site and drive the navigation, seo aspects etc.   Each page then refers to a "panels" section that I use to include items on each page, either directly with text fields etc, or via includes that I use to insert modular sections like news articles, blogs, shopping, forms etc. 

Cheers,

Tim (toledoh.com.au)

By gkornbluth - May 26, 2017 - edited: May 26, 2017

Hi all,

Interesting idea.

That's how my CMSB Cookbook started and now it's got almost 500 recipes

Jerry Kornbluth

The first CMS Builder reference book is now available on-line!

Take advantage of a free 3 month trial subscription, only for CMSB users, at: http://www.thecmsbcookbook.com/trial.php

By Deborah - May 26, 2017

For many CMSB setups I create a special 'Admin Only' section editor just for my own use. There I post custom-styled snippets of instruction code that I use for the separators in the section editors or any specifics/notes for that client's installation. It's nice to have all of that in one place in the CMS, instead of on my local computer.

~ Deborah