Login | Sign up | Toll-Free: 1-800-752-0455

Forum

Hi experts,

I have installed and currently using the Article Manager to create my website. I notice that there is no multi-language support in the CMS. What would be the best way to create a multi-language website using this CMS? [:(]

Thanks, Ric

Re: [richsoe] Article Manager Multi-language capability???

Hi Ric,

That sort of depends on how you want multi-language to work!

You could set it up so that you had two publish rules for each article, one for each language. Or, you could create a top level category for each language. Article Manager's pretty customizable, so it mostly depends on how you'd like the site to be setup. :)
Donna

--
support@interactivetools.com

Re: [Donna] Article Manager Multi-language capability???

By bonnie72 - October 6, 2009 - edited: October 6, 2009

We created different categories acting as different languages. We then created a domain name for each category:

www.drumcorps.org.uk (English)
www.drumcorps.nl (Dutch)
www.drumcorps.de (German)
www.drumcorps.fr (French)
www.drumcorps.it (Italian)

If you click the above links, you will be looking at one and the same version of AM2, just different categories. Is this what you intend to do?

Marco

Re: [bonnie72] Article Manager Multi-language capability???

I saw your webs sites with different languages. Its what I want to do -just adding to my spanish web site a English version-
But my customer also want the Categories localized, I mean if I see spanish version, Categories in spanish. If I go to English the Categories in English.
Any idea in order to manage two different Categories?

Thanks a lot.,
... I will buy a CMS licence ... it looks the future
felix
=========================================
We publish a magazine, which we send by
regular mail to 10.000 dealers and IT companies.
http://www.nuevosespacios.com

Re: [felixr] Article Manager Multi-language capability???

Hi Felix,

You'd basically want two entirely separate sets of publish rules, then -- one for the english side, one for the spanish side. So for every "page", you would create two publish rules.

Does that make sense?
Donna

--

Hi Donna,
I have done all steps and looks fine. But, I have no idea how to create a second new and different Category (english in this case).

At the 'New article' I get two different zones: spanish and english, so the user should choose a 'category' at the spanish zone and its 'category' at the english zone.

I have created categoryIndex_en.html but I dont find out how to implement it at the database at db_article table. I get different kinds of errors.

Also I have created a Global Menu_ENGLISH (default menu) rule.

Thanks for your support.
Felix

Hi Felix,

Can you let me know what steps you've taken so far?

You won't want to modify the database directly at all -- in general, you'll never want to do that! Article Manager can take care of that part.

You can implement a new template by creating a publish rule that uses those templates. But give me more details about what you've done so far and we can take a look at what's going on. :)
Donna

--

Hi Donna,
Basically, I have created a 'duplicate rule' of each original page. And all has been created without any problem. So I have by one side the 'spanish site' and by other side all new recreated rules for the 'english site'.

My concern its about 'Categories'. I get the original 'Category menu' which has 'spanish categories'. So, when the 'writer user' setup/create a new product, populate the spanish fields, whit its 'spanish category', but I dont know how implement a new 'english category'. In this way when the 'writer user' complete the english fields, select its the category in english.

All samples I have seen in this forum, with differents languages, share the same Categories table, I mean they didnt create a different category table for each differente language.

Im working at www.unykach.com You will see at top right corner the english flag. All the contant its still in spanish.

Thanks a lot.,
Felix

Hi Felix,

I would create two category menu publish rules, with different filenames and different placeholders. Then, on your english templates, you would refer to the english category placeholder, and leave the spanish templates as is. This is how all of your site would have to work -- separate placeholders for each "side", and templates that refer to the english placeholders.

Does that make sense?
Donna

--

Hi, Donna
Thanks a lot. I was mistaked!. I did it. I made the same that for 'articles' for Categories.

Thanks a lot.,

Felix