Admin > Section Editors > Field Editor > Text Field
- Field Label
- This is the text displayed beside the field in the CMS Section Editor.
- Field Name
- This is the name the database and program use to refer to the field.
In your content viewers, you will use some simple code like this
<?php echo $record['fieldname']?>
to display the field data. If you change an existing fieldname, don't forget to update
the name in your viewers and Section Editor details as well.
Tip: There are some "special" fieldnames that provide additional functionality.
(See Special Fieldnames
- Field Type
- These are the different types of fields you can add to your menu. Some fields have
different options than others. Note that the separator field type doesn't require a field label or field name to be entered.
- Field Options
Options specific to the Field Type appear in this box. For most
fields, the defaults will be sufficient, but for "list" fields you will
need to set the values for your list options.
- Default Value
- This is the default field value that will appear when creating a new record.
Tip: A new or modified default will only apply to new entries - any old records won't use your new default, and will either be blank or have any old values you've entered.
- Field Description
- This text is displayed after the field.
- Field Width
- This is the width of the field in pixels. Leave blank to use the default width.
- Input Validation
This allows you to make specific requirements for what gets entered into
the field. At the most basic, you can make the field required or unique, and
for text fields you can enter a list of characters to allow or disallow.
- This option requires the user to enter a value for the field. An error will be displayed if the field is left blank.
- This option requires the user to enter a unique value for the field. An error will be displayed if another record has the same value.
- Min Length
- This option indicates the minimum length of the field value. An error will be displayed in the value is shorter.
- Max Length
- This option indicates the maximum length of the field value. An error will be displayed in the value is longer.
- Allowed Content
- This option indicates what characters are allowed the be entered in the field.
"Allow All Characters" allows anything. "Only allow characters:" only allows the characters in the character field.
"Disallow Characters" allows any characters except those in the character field.
- Advanced Options
- System Field
- System fields cannot be edited and have no modify or erase link unless "System Field Editing" is enabled (under Advanced Commands on the field list page).
The purpose of this setting is to make it harded to accidentally or unknowingly change a program field that might otherwise break things.
- Admin Only
- Fields with this option set will only be visible and can only be modified by Admin users in the Section Editor.
- Password Field
- The contents of this field will be displayed as stars (****) when the user views or modifies it in the Section Editor.